script>

Monday 15 July 2013

Do You Really Need It...?


On the day when I got promoted to class 11th I noticed my class mates and the coaching institute classmates carrying Nokia N93,this was the only costliest phone for the students they could think of.I guess it ranged between 11,000 to 12,000 bucks.I always wanted a phone with which i could text ,call and at the max put on my favourite songs because I always loved them.If am watching TV I would be on the music channels if radio I
would sync it that particular frequency where music is on!
But when I got my new phone it was a complete surprise for me (that my dad got me a phone :)),I could not express how happy I was and that smile still remains even today you know why? It's not because I got the best phone or something ,to correct you let me tell you that my dad gave me "Tata Docomo CDMA" phone which was worth 1500 bucks,with messaging and call facilities plus since it was postpaid I had to keep things restricted as in number of messages or calls.I did not what specification it had ,I thought dad knows what I like he would get me the best.But the next day I realised there was no music player,and I jut let that go! I would put a cassette in the music player and play my favourite songs to relax and dance.

My mom later on simply discussed this with dad that you could have bought a phone which had a music player,you know she loves to hear them when she is free or if she needs to relax.My dad called me to the drawing room and just started talkint in general about my activities throughout the day and  later on brought the topic of what kindof phones do my friends in the class carry.I explained him and told him all about those heavy,bulky and costly stuffs they used to carry to the class and show off their phones and earphones.But after finishing about their stuffs I told him that "Papa,I love my phone you know,if you had bought me a costlier ones like theirs,I would have never been able to study and do anything else.I am just happy that you bought me a phone,its enough."
My dad was so satisfied with my thoughts,I could sense the satisfaction on his face and I was happy.He then shared a story with me in which there were 2 boys and both of them belonged a middle class family.The 1st boy say Harish and the 2nd boy say Manoj were best friends, the only difference between them them Harish's parents wanted their son to have all comforts of life so that he does not have to face struggles and hardships,due to which his life was always a cake walk and at the same time Manoj's parents made it a point that he should be given everything as per requirements so that he understands how to value what you get or what you have in life.Harish had started taking everything for granted as in "Ahh... what if I do not struggle my dad will get me something big as ever he loves me ,he cannot see me pain" and Manoj always valued even a single pencil which he might have got as a reward in the class.He understood that if you work hard,the results are so memorable and cherishable.
By the end, Harish's father expired  when Harish was 22,a perfect age to pick up a job,he could not get any good job to have the same luxury he had when his dad was alive,just because he never struggled ,he never worked hard,he took everything for granted and never valued anything.He never understood the importance of money,time and relations.And Manoj was still living a life as normal completely satisfied with what he had and always worked hard,valuing everything in his life.
"The moral is that my sweetheart that If you demand for a personal helicopter today,I would somehow get you one,but tell methe requirement.Do you really need it?"

"So always remember have things or when you grow up buy only those thing which are inevitable and not just for the sake of spending money or shopping or interest.only then you will value time and money."I still remember these lines of his,I still wonder why my classmates in college carry Apple i phone to college and then the next day cry that it has been stolen.I still wonder why who already has a phone with al facilities bought a tab to college?What are they trying to show off?
Ahhh. the best part still remains,I have never been fascinated by those costly,sophisticated and hi -fi stuffs.I do know about them and that is enough,I do not need to own them unless its highly needed.

This is all is needed in today's youth too,Keep things you need and do not just waste cash to show off or just because your dad will pay for all your wishes.Learn to value what you get and what you have.Always question yourself ,like I do "DO YOU REALLY NEED IT???"

6 comments:

  1. Nice write; the story is motivating.To relish with what you have is the mantra of being happy in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Shivany... Some obvious things which most of the people don't realise unfortunately !!

    ReplyDelete